Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cold Mountain


This one will be a quicky, no worries you TL;DR manladies and ladymen.

I just saw it through the break of midnight and the weeds of what had to have been over 9,000 commercials. Good lord, if an endless onslaught of advertising can't completely destroy a story then that story must be halfway decent. And it was, as sad, miserable, and as sappy as it was; Cold Mountain was a damn fine film which was a sketchy concept (for getting my attention or interest) but was executed beautifully. I rank Cold Mountain as an 8/10 overall-- it should be noted that my rating scale is weighted and as such there are then about 4 movies I'd consider near perfect (10/10). One of them is OldBoy.

I don't care much for The Civil War like most people do. I feel as though I regard it differently than most, which is fair to say about anyone else, I suppose. Dances With Wolves bored me to sleep and Civil War fanaticism bores me to tears. With that in mind, I loved this film quite a bit because of how well it was made. The craft is apparent. This film seems to be the reason Jude Law has a career. It's full of character and story that any human sh/could allow themselves to enjoy. Cold Mountain and Glory are the only two Civil War films that come to mind that I severely enjoy.

No comments: